Thursday, August 6, 2009

Fruit fly--don't bother me!

OK, maybe this is a fluke, maybe not....are they gone for good, or is it that they're gone for a while?   Two of my friends have commented on the wonders of Tea Tree Oil.  I splurged at "Sunflower Market" and bought a teeny flask of the wonder oil.  I have put it on the children's mosquito and other bug bites and it has kept them from swelling.  The smell is pretty pungent, but the trade-off is worth it. 

The other day Peterman came in from outside.  It was dusk and he had mosquito kiss bumps forming on his arm.  He brought me the T.T.Oil and a paper towel.  I tipped the point of the towel in the oil and then applied the oil to his arm.  He commented on the strong smell, and it got me to thinking. I asked him to leave the corner-soaked-paper towel on the counter under the shelf, instead of throwing it away.  That is our spot we get fruit flies.  I'm not sure why they go for THAT spot.  The next morning when I came down to start readying Jeff and Dibs' lunches I noticed NO FRUIT FLIES.  Maybe it was a coincidence or a tender mercy?  I still have the paper towel out and waft it in the same general area hoping to ward off the critters.  

So, try it at your houses---c'mon, doesn't everyone get fruit flies this time of year? I hope it works for you, too!!! 

4 comments:

Shellie said...

Wow, I will try it on the stupid cupboard moths that are ruining my kitchen.

Jam said...

Shellie--I hope it works for you, but I've not noticed a decrease in my stupid moth population...only fruit flies. :)

The Favorite said...

great suggestion!

Ingrid said...

I am going NUTS due to fruit flies. I can refrigerate all the fruit and veggies, scrub everything meticulously YET AGAIN, and they still are there! I have tea tree oil in my cupboard, i am going to try this!