Friday, June 12, 2009

All is well, all is well...

We are back from Trek. (Insert rigorous round of the Hallelujah Chorus...) It was a good experience!  The Pioneers are pretty close to "We-should-worship-them" status!  They are amazing---driven by what they knew to be right!!  They had a tremendous measure of faith.I pray that the sacrifices they made will not be taken in vain.  
Our family color was deep "royal" purple.  There was a lighter purple and also lilac.  We had 20 or so "families" in our company.  I didn't move as fast as "my kids" liked so they went ahead for awhile, but Pa got them in order, and we travelled as a family again.  One of the gals is a track star in the making, and she kept the pace rather quick.  We only could slow it down to a walkable/breathable pace if Pa & I walked in front of the wagon.  It was interesting, and humiliating at times.  We had a really good stretch when we were talking and having fun.  I hope that's what they remember.  
On the last day, 2 of my gals were not in prime trekking mode and I wasn't either.  We were transported to the beginning of the trek, to wait 'til everyone made it in by foot. (Foot was my main problem, by Wednesday a.m.)  We trekked 7 miles on day 1.  On day 2, 14 miles or there abouts was the magic #. (I did 10 of them and opted out of the last leg).  I probably walked 1/4 mile on the last day, but the company trekked 7 miles.  When the 2 gals and I were brought to the beginning of the trek (Bus parking lot) we hobbled over to the Visitor's Center and talked to the Missionary Couples there.  
Our Stake, before the trek, handed out names of pioneers that we could research and think about during the trek.  My person is: Anna Tait of Scotland.  She ended up dying on 20 October, along the trail when she was 31.  So sad!!!!   So many died. (But many more lived, thankfully)
I gain strength from the Pioneers and Pilgrims who stood for what they thought was right.  They were moral people who understood that dying in the process of defending and striving for truth and righteousness is a noble thing.  I pray I can take their examples and always strive to defend what is from God, moral, and correct.  Blood, sweat & tears.....The trek was not easy, but it was worth it!!!

3 comments:

The Mathews Family said...

Thank you for the post! I love your update and thoughts on the Pioneers. A few of my ancestors came across in the Martin Handcart Company. One couple lost three of their children along the way. I can't even imagine. We just spent a week down in St. George and I borrowed some of the diaries and records from my Grandma and read them while I was down there. I just can't imagine living through what they went through on their trips West. Not only that but so many of the Pioneers also left their families and secure comfortable lives behind for what was definitely more important... but not easy. I know when I meet my Pioneer ancestors one day I'm going to have a big hug and a giant thank you for them. They sacrificed so much.

I'm glad you made it back alive and I bet your kids won't ever forget some of the things they learned on this Trek.
-Jessica

Mom said...

I am so happy that you had a good experience. I really worried about your feet. I am amazed and pleased you were able to walk so many miles. I remember when some of you girls walked several miles of the trip to Far West for Youth Conf. or Super Saturday. Was that you or your older sisters? I am glad the kids got to go and I am sure they got a lot out of it but I know as an adult you better realized what a sacrifice was made by those early saints.
Thank you for staying strong. Even our "easy" times are difficult some days. I love you.

Shellie said...

Awesome! Makes you grateful for so many many things!