Monday, January 24, 2011

Taiwan week...I forgot (Week 4-- Ma remembered)


This week (Taiwan #4 ) I'm sharing the entire letter. I think he just might have to look into motivational speaking after the mission. He's pretty good at it!!! Enjoy:
Hey.
So yeah, I forgot what week I'm on. I think it's three? Yeah I don't know.
Passed off the third section of Phase 1 this morning though. This
week was pretty intense with the studying, but this next week is going
to be two times as intense. I look forward to when it will all pay off
and I will actually be able to understand what people say to me. That
will be nice. Thank-you for the prayers to help me learn the language,
they are definitely being felt. The way that I have structured it, I
have had two days where I would devote all of my time to memorizing
words. I've been able to get in about 50 a day. But this week, I need
to somehow double the number of words learned in the same amount of
time. Thank-you so much for the prayers. I do need them.
THe saddest thing in the world is the amount of time that is wasted
in Taiwan on computers and TV's. I'm in an internet cafe with a bunch
of internet junkies. They spend all of their time here and all of
their money. Online gaming is HUGE here. When we tract here and there,
every single door that we go to, without fail, is greeted by a person
who just got up off of the couch and supposedly has "No time". I am
trying to save lives here, and I am torn apart because I see so many
lives being wasted. If you can do one thing for me, don't waste away
your life, don't waste away an hour, DON'T WASTE EVEN A SECOND! If you
are sitting infront of a screen, then chances are there is something
better that you could be doing. There is a world of opportunity being
thrown away. Go find a piece of it.
Sorry for my bluntness, but I really feel strongly about this since
being here. So please, don't waste your time.

ON a happier note, we have our first baptism this week (: Yeah.
He's fourteen. Cool person. It's interesting to see the light that is
so much more apparent in him over the past few weeks. I remember the
first time that we talked to him, it was late-ish at night and he was
half asleep. I'm excited for him.
AH! tight on time, so I'll wrap up. THe more I learn about the
Savior, the more I know I can rely on him. If there is something that
you have been asked to do, but it seems hard, chances are that it will
help you grow. THis Gospel is here for our help. That is what the
whole idea of the Gospel is. Repentance and improvement. This week, I
challenge you to do the hard things. Reach higher and become better.
As you do, the Lord will help you. I know it to be true because I live
it every day. There is no way that I can become what I need to without
him. His is my Lord, my Savior and my Redeemer. I love Him and I owe
Him my every effort
Have a wonderful week! I love you all. I'm very happy to hear that you
are all doing well. Good luck! Thank you for your prayers and help
from home.

-Elder Sanford
P.S. Logan can have my piece of pie.. If he hasn't already.