Tuesday, June 28, 2011

27 weeks in Taiwan

Hey,
SO this week was pretty good. Elder Braby and I are trying a new thing: Having our investigators meet at the same time. To be honest, it is kind of an accident most of the time, but it is working pretty well. It is interesting to see how it doesn't matter what situation they are in, they become friends because they are both looking into the gospel. It gives the people that have met with us a little more to testify of what they know and the newer investigators to get a testimony from somebody very close to the situation that they are in. I think that is may not be the most effective thing as far as numbers go, but that doesn't matter, we have some great investigators making some great progress. The only problem is that I don't know if we have as much of an opportunity to focus in on the one persons need as much as if we were sitting down alone with them. It is cool to see them encourage each other towards baptism though. Really cool.

I'm greatful for the chance to serve with Elder Braby because he has really put a new spin on the work for me. Yesterday, he figured out mid lesson that our investigator wasn't applying the gospel to him self. A lightbulb went off in my head like never before. It is something that I have heard over and over and over to apply what we are saying to the person, but until I was in the situation and It was pointed plainly out to me that "Look, our investigator isn't making any progress because what we tell him, he doesn't apply to his life or even think about how this can benefit him at all." I was just a little embarrassed when I thought, "Oh, so that is what they mean." It makes so much sense. I couldn't sleep because I was thinking about each of our investigators and how we could help them actually take the principles that we tell them and apply them. The simple analogy came into my mind that you can tell somebody all day how much more comfortable they would be if they would plug the fan into the wall. But they won't feel it for them selves until they plug it in. So that is a lot of what I am thinking about. Helping my investigators plug the fan into the wall..

It is going to be a good month.
The wonderful thing about the gospel it that it is true, and there's nothing that any of us can to about it. You can always be sure that the Lord loves us and will always forgive us and pull us back into the fold. The promise of help and it just so miraculous.
Anyways, have a good week!
-ELder Sanford.

No comments: